Vegetarian Buffalo Tofu Caesar Salad
Hey friends, Christen here!
Ingredients for the Seasoned Tofu
1 Egg (beaten)
¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
2 tbsp potato starch (or 1 tbsp corn starch) (This helps with crispness)
¼ tsp seasoning salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
Ingredients for the Buffalo Sauce:
3 tbsp melted butter
4 tbsp hot sauce
3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
Makes 2 large salads or 4 side salads
Ingredients for the Salad
3 tbsp of your favourite Caesar Dressing (I use store-bought and add 2 tbsp of fresh-squeezed lemon juice and a dash of Montreal Steak Spice- trust me- it's magic)
1 head of Romaine Lettuce and 1 cup of mixed greens (or one or the other)
½ cup of your favourite croutons (I used stale bread tossed in a pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper until golden)
½ a brick or 1 ¼ cup of cubed firm tofu
TIP: Press your tofu with a *clean Sponge Cloth to pull out any excess moisture for an extra crispy Buffalo Bite!
*This sponge cloth should not only be clean but never used to clean bathrooms, counters, dishes etc. We recommend that you keep a designated cloth for use with food only. (To drain produce, scrub potatoes, etc.)
1. Toss all your dry ingredients into a reusable bag and shake to combine.
2. Coat your cubed tofu in the beaten egg and transfer (shaking off any extra egg) to the bag with the dry seasoning mix in it.
3. Shake until well coated
4. Place a skillet on medium heat and add 4 tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add in the tofu bites, taking care to shake off the excess flour.
5. Fry bites on medium to low heat, tossing every couple of minutes to get every side golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, toss the lettuce with your dressing in a large bowl and melt the butter for the Buffalo Sauce.
7. Wisk the hot sauce, butter, and sweet chili sauce together in a medium-sized bowl and get ready to take your tofu bites to the next level!
8. Once your bites are evenly browned, transfer them to your sauce bowl with a slotted spoon. Toss them in the air to coat if you are a pro or stir them up, so they get happily bathed in sweet and spicy goodness… both will yield the same result.
9. Plate your lettuce onto individual plates or leave family-style on a large platter. Sprinkle with warm croutons, glistening Buffalo Bites and a bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese if you happen to have it on hand.
10. Top with a dash of salt and pepper to finish it off and a wedge of lemon for bonus points.