Confetti Slice-And-Bake Shortbread Cookies
I've got another easy, quick, family favorite cookie recipe for you today. These sprinkle coated cookies are a hit with kids and adults alike, I promise! If sprinkles aren't your thing, scroll right to the bottom for my super easy Chocolate & Orange variation... Happy Baking!
¾ cup Icing Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Pinch Sea Salt
1 tsp Cornstarch
2 cups All Purpose Flour
Sprinkles of your choice!
1. Beat the softened butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute, until light and fluffy.
2. Add in the icing sugar and pinch of salt, beat for 30 seconds until smooth.
3. Add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4. Add in the flour and cornstarch mixing until the dough starts to clump together.
Hint: At first it will look too dry, keep going and the texture will become sandy, just after that it will start to clump together. Stop mixing here.
5. Dump dough onto parchment paper or a beeswax wrap and use your hands to shape into a log, roughly 2.5” in diameter and 12” long. Cut in half.
6. Pour sprinkles into a flat bottom baking dish or plate with raised sides so they stay contained. Roll each log in sprinkles until thoroughly coated.
7. Roll dough logs back up in parchment or beeswax wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
9. Slice dough logs into ½” thick cookies and lay out 12 per tray, evenly spaced (24 cookies in total on 2 trays).
Hint: Line your cookie sheets with a silicone baking mat for easy clean up and a non-stick surface.
10. Bake for 15 minutes until just set and slightly golden on the bottom. Allow to cool on the tray for at least 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. YUM.
Up the WOW factor and make Chocolate-Orange Shortbread instead!
Add the zest of 1 orange, with the flour into the dough. Forgo the sprinkles, chill and cut into rounds as instructed. Bake as directed above and allow to cool fully.
Melt your favorite dark chocolate chips and either dip half of the cookie into chocolate or drizzle each cookie with chocolate, allow to set and enjoy!